Math Olympiads is a math problem solving contest. Students have been meeting on Thursdays from 2:30-3:30 to work on the goals listed below. Starting in November and going through March, students complete contest problems and compete against other schools in Massachusetts, New England, the Unites States and the world!!
Last year nearly 150,000 students from teams worldwide participated in the Olympiads. All 50 states and 30 other countries were represented.
Math Olympiad Goals:
- to stimulate enthusiasm and a love for Mathematics
- to introduce important Mathematical concepts
- to teach major strategies for problem solving
- to develop Mathematical flexibility in solving problems
- to strengthen Mathematical intuition
- to foster Mathematical creativity and ingenuity
- to provide for the satisfaction, joy, and thrill of meeting challenges
Other important information:
- competitions take about 30 minutes to complete
- all competition questions will be reviewed either on the dates above or the following Thursday
- on the Thursdays between competitions Mathletes will prepare for future competitions by discussing strategies and solutions for olympiad-type problems
- in April, May, and June Mathletes will partake in the following:
- practice past competition questions
- complete extension problems such as the "walking around the school" scatter plot
- ....and MUCH MUCH MORE!!!
Contact Mrs. Vekasy if you have questions.
8A Math Teacher
781-344-7002 ext: 6209